Karlsruhe ((TEH)) – Investigators of the Federal Criminal Police Office (BKA) do not classify the Hanau attack according to a media report as an act by a right-wing extremist.
A spokesman for the federal prosecutor’s office in Karlsruhe did not want to comment on this. The police investigation was still ongoing.
Tobias R. had moved through Hanau, Hesse, late in the evening on February 19, and shot nine people with foreign roots. The 43-year-old and his mother were later found dead in their apartment. R. had spread confused thoughts and abstruse conspiracy theories as well as racist views on the Internet.
Attorney General Peter Frank had taken over the investigation that night. From the beginning, it had been said that there was “serious evidence for a racist background of the deed”.
The Federal Criminal Police Office has commissioned the BKA to carry out further investigations. According to the media, the assessment of R. should flow into a final report that is currently being worked on.
According to the investigators, racism was not the dominant aspect in R.’s worldview, it said. This had increased above all in conspiracy myths about secret services and suffered from paranoia.
R. did not notice neighbors and acquaintances through racist statements. There were also no indications that he had dealt with right-wing ideology or with right-wing terrorists and their actions.
Copyright © 2023 The Eastern Herald.
For the latest updates and news follow The Eastern Herald on Google News, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
Help us continue our mission to deliver the latest news and stories by becoming a supporter of our newspaper. Your support will help us to continue to provide high-quality journalism and to ensure that our content remains free and accessible to all. Click here to show your support. Thank you!