Lausanne – Athletes who are already qualified for the Olympic Games will still have to fight for their ticket to Tokyo after the summer games have been postponed.
The IOC made it clear that the final decision on the nomination of the athletes rests with the respective National Olympic Committees. “The principles for qualification remain the same,” said Kit McConnell, sports director of the International Olympic Committee. All athletes who had already qualified would be allowed to participate in the Olympics from the IOC’s point of view – but only if they were selected accordingly by their national associations.
57 percent of the expected 11,300 Tokyo Olympians had already secured their tickets for the games in Japan. Due to the corona pandemic, the IOC, the organizers, and the Japanese government decided after a long delay to postpone the summer games by one year. Olympia in Tokyo is scheduled to open on July 23, 2021.
It is still unclear whether the age restrictions in several sports will be relaxed due to the relocation of the games. So far, it has been regulated, among other things, that in football, with the exception of three players, only players under the age of 23 can take part in the Olympic tournament. In other sports, there is a minimum age for participation. McConnell said that potential goodwill arrangements are currently being discussed with the responsible trade associations. A decision will be made “in the next few weeks”.