Manchester – The long-injured international Leroy Sane sees no sporting advantage in postponing the European Football Championship in the coming year.
“No, not at all!” Said the 24-year-old in a published interview by the German Football Association. This summer, the winger of the English champions Manchester City would have been “back at 100 per cent”. It would have been “maybe even an advantage that I could have started the tournament relatively fresh without 50 season games in my bones”. His plan was to join the DFB team again in late March when the national team’s test games were cancelled.
The European Championship finals, which should originally have been played from June 12 to July 12, had been moved to the summer of 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic. The decision is without alternative, said Sane. «Of course the postponement is a shame. Still, I’m sure that a lot of the fans are relieved because of the move. An EM without a spectator? That would have been hard to imagine – hardly anyone would have enjoyed this EM. »
The 24-year-old had just recovered from the consequences of a serious cruciate ligament injury and made his competitive comeback in the U23 under the Citizens when the game was suspended due to the Corona crisis. “When it’s slowed down, it’s very good,” said Sane.
“Nevertheless, I can put the whole thing in perspective and know that there are worse things than that. What is worse at this stage, for example, is that you are relatively helplessly exposed to the virus. We can only wait for the situation to relax again. »
For latest updates and news follow The Eastern Herald on Google News, Instagram, Facebook, and also on Twitter.
Click here to show your support.