Home News Handball boss Schwenker fears premature end of season

Handball boss Schwenker fears premature end of season

Berlin – HBL President Uwe Schwenker believes that handball games without spectators are not a good solution for many Bundesliga clubs.

«The clubs are in no way built from ghost games. 30, 40 percent – in the top up to 50 percent of the clubs’ budget come from viewer income, »Schwenker told the TV channel Sky Sport. “Television is immensely important to us, but it only makes up five percent of the budget,” said the 61-year-old.

But ghost games would ultimately also be acceptable given the corona pandemic. “It is not out of the question. We keep all options open, »said ex-national player Schwenker. However, he is sceptical whether the Bundesliga can continue. “I think it’s rather unlikely that we’ll end the season.”

In a video conference last week, HBL and the club bosses agreed to continue the currently interrupted season from May 16, if possible, to bring it to an end by June 30. An extension of the season until July or even August excluded the league after legal examination.

How the Bundesliga season would be judged if the game was abandoned is still open. There should be no relegation in this case.

© The Eastern Herald
No oligarch or politician dictates to us how to write about any subject. We need your support. Please contribute whatever you can afford. Click here to make your donation.
Follow us on:
Eastern Herald on Google News
-Advertisement-
News Room
The Eastern Herald’s Editorial Board is responsible for the stories published under this byline. That includes editorials, news stories, letters to the editor, and multimedia features on easternherald.com.