Earlier, a Trump spokesman said that after the presidential election, Washington’s position will become much tougher
Russia does not intend to renew the agreement on the limitation of strategic offensive arms on Washington’s terms. On Monday, September 21, the Deputy Foreign Minister of the Russian Federation Sergey Ryabkov announced this to journalists.
Earlier, the special envoy of the US President Marshall Billingsley said that Washington made Russia a “good offer.” “We made a good offer for her (Russia). We do not think this proposal is unfair. We believe that it is based on the principle of reciprocity and will lead to greater transparency,” the American diplomat said.
At the same time, Billingsley noted that after the presidential elections in the United States, the terms of the agreement will become more stringent. “I think that if by that time we do not move forward, then we will have a number of new conditions on which we will have to insist. But so far the proposal remains in force in the form in which we made it,” he stressed.
Russian diplomats said they considered this tone of negotiations unacceptable. “These are all ultimatum methods that reduce the possibility of concluding any agreement,” Ryabkov said on this occasion. “We cannot talk in this genre.”
Also, disagreements arose between the diplomats regarding the content of the preliminary consultations. A Trump spokesman claims that the Russian side has agreed that China should become a mandatory party to the new treaty. However, according to Ryabkov, Russia did not agree with the American side that Beijing should be involved in the negotiations.