Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan in his address to the nation stated that Azerbaijan has declared war on the entire Armenian people, but “the Armenians are ready for this.”
Martial law and mobilization have been declared in the country after the aggravation of the conflict in the Nagorno-Karabakh zone. “This morning, Azerbaijan again undertook large-scale provocations. There are casualties and wounded, including among the civilian population. The Defense Army is waging fierce battles, ”Mr. Pashinyan said in his address (quoted by Interfax).
He noted that the “authoritarian regime of Aliyev” has again declared war on the Armenian people. “We are ready for this war because we realized that the hatred for Armenians propagated in Azerbaijan could not lead to any other result than to war,” N. Pashinyan said. In his words, Azerbaijan can start military actions towards the borders of Armenia and provocations to destabilize the situation in the region, therefore martial law was introduced in Armenia and general mobilization was declared.
Nikol Pashinyan called on the OSCE Minsk Group and the entire international community to pay attention to the seriousness of the situation. “The situation may have irreversible consequences, go beyond the borders of the region, and threaten international peace and stability,” he explained and asked not to allow Turkey to get involved in the conflict.
The Prime Minister of Armenia said that the government of the country, in connection with the aggravation of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, introduced martial law in the country and announced a general mobilization of the reserve.
“Dear compatriots, now, by the decision of the government, martial law and general mobilization are declared in Armenia. To all personnel: I urge them to report to the military commissariats, ”he wrote on Facebook.
OSCE calls for ceasefire in Karabakh
Albanian Prime Minister Edi Rama, whose country now chairs the OSCE, has called for an end to hostilities in the unrecognized Nagorno-Karabakh. It is reported by Interfax.
“I call on all parties to return immediately to respecting the ceasefire to avoid further increases in the number of casualties,” Rama said.
He noted that the co-chairs of the Minsk Group are actively in contact with the parties to the conflict to resolve the Karabakh problem.
Lavrov and Cavusoglu discussed the situation in Karabakh
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Turkish counterpart Mevlut Cavusoglu exchanged views on the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh by phone.
The diplomats stressed the need for an early ceasefire and stabilization of the situation on the line of contact, the Russian Foreign Ministry said. It is noted that in the conversation the ministers stressed the need for an early ceasefire and stabilization of the situation on the line of contact.
Lavrov and Chavoshuglu also expressed condolences to the families of those killed in the hostilities.
Conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh
On the morning of Sunday, September 27, Armenia and Azerbaijan reported shelling along the line of contact in Karabakh. There are dead and wounded.
Turkey stated that it supports Azerbaijan and condemns the actions of Armenia. The Russian Foreign Ministry, the CSTO and the Council of Europe called on the parties to the conflict to cease fire and begin negotiations.
At the meeting of the country’s Security Council, President of Azerbaijan Aliyev stated that Armenia had been preparing for this military provocation for a long time. The Azerbaijani Defense Ministry announced that it was taking “retaliatory measures” against the actions of the Armenian Armed Forces. Pashinyan stated that Azerbaijan “launched an offensive” in the Karabakh direction.
Earlier on Sunday, the Azerbaijani Ministry of Defense said that the Armenian Armed Forces fired at settlements on the contact line in Karabakh, according to these data, there are civilians killed. According to the Armenian Ministry of Defense, Karabakh “was subjected to air and missile attacks.”
The press secretary of the president of the unrecognized Nagorno-Karabakh Republic Vahram Poghosyan reported that peaceful settlements in Karabakh, including the capital Stepanakert, were subjected to artillery fire, and he called on the population to hide.
The authorities of the unrecognized NKR declared martial law and mobilization in Karabakh.
History of the conflict
The conflict in Karabakh began in February 1988, when the Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Region announced its secession from the Azerbaijan SSR. During the armed confrontation in 1992-1994, Azerbaijan lost control over Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent regions.
Since 1992, negotiations have been underway on a peaceful settlement of the conflict within the framework of the OSCE Minsk Group, headed by three co-chairs – Russia, the United States, and France. Azerbaijan insists on preserving its territorial integrity, Armenia protects the interests of the unrecognized republic.