First killing in Myanmar due to repression of protests against the army coup

The military crackdown on protesters rejecting the coup in Myanmar caused the first fatality with the death of a woman who was shot.


The victim, Mya Thwate Thwate Khaing, had been shot in the head on February 9, at a demonstration in the city of Naipyidó, the administrative capital of Myanmar, former Burma.

That day, security forces fired rubber bullets at the protesters, according to the official version, but they left at least two people wounded with live ammunition, according to doctors at the hospital to which they were sent.

One of them is the young woman who died today, the hospital announced, according to the AFP news agency.


The coup, perpetrated on February 1, was strongly rejected by the Burmese who took to the streets to demand the return of the civilian government of the leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who since that date has been under house arrest.

Internal and external pressures are multiplying on the military, which until now has turned a deaf ear to international condemnations and sanctions.

The United Kingdom, a former colonial power, announced yesterday that it was sanctioning three Burmese generals for “serious human rights violations”.

Canada, for its part, will punish nine Burmese military officials, and accused the junta of having carried out “a systematic act of repression through coercive legislative measures and the use of force.”

The head of the junta, General Min Aung Hlaing, has become an international pariah following the attacks by the Army against the Rohingya Muslim minority in Myanmar in 2017.

Last week, US President Joe Biden announced that Washington would block the generals’ access to a $ 1 billion fund in the United States.

Human rights groups welcome these initiatives but believe that we must go further.

Sanctions “are not enough to hold the military to account and undermine its economic strength,” observed Paul Donowitz of the British NGO Global Witness.

“We expect an announcement of sanctions from the European Union on Monday,” said Thinzar Shunlei Yi, one of the militants who launched a campaign of civil disobedience after the coup.

Despite harsh repression and the repressive response of the military junta, calls for resistance continue, with demonstrations and strikes.

The country suffered Internet cuts for the fifth consecutive night, according to a specialized organization installed in the United Kingdom, indicating that there was a resumption of service in the morning.

Today, hundreds of people marched again through the great avenues of Yangon, the largest city in the country, with portraits of Suu Kyi, and demanding “freedom for our leader.”

In the remote region of Sagaing, protesters marched in the town of Monywa, with three fingers raised in rebellion.

The junta continues to detain allies of the former de facto head of the Government, as well as officials involved in the protest movement.

The Yangon- based Association for Aid to Political Prisoners (AAPP) has reported more than 520 arrests since the coup.

The military justifies its coup by alleging fraud in the November legislative elections, won massively by the National League for Democracy (NLD), Suu Kyi’s party.

The 75-year-old Nobel Peace Prize winner, who was unseen since her house arrest, is charged on non-political grounds, such as illegally importing walkie-talkies and having violated “the law on natural disaster management.

He must appear in court on March 1.


Public Reaction