Istanbul / Muthanna Al Ahmad / Anatolia

Liverpool scored an exciting victory over its Italian guest, AC Milan, by three goals to two, on Wednesday, at “Anfield Road”, in the second group competition of the European Champions League.

Liverpool showed high control and control over the course of play from the beginning, taking advantage of the experience of its European elements, which was lacking in Milan, the team that returned to participate in the Champions League after an absence of seven full seasons.

The Reds’ advantage resulted in an early goal that came only 9 minutes after the start, after an attack through which Alexander Arnold penetrated the left side of the Milan areas and sent a ball that hit defender Fikayo Tomori to change its course and enter the net.

After 5 minutes, the owners of the land had the opportunity to add a second goal, when the referee awarded a penalty kick, due to a handball error committed by the Algerian Ismail bin Nasser inside the restricted area, but the Egyptian Mohamed Salah executed in a way that goalkeeper Mike Magen managed to address it.

Liverpool’s elements missed many opportunities in front of the opponent’s goal, to come a harsh punishment from Milan, who managed from his first opportunity to score the equalizing goal, specifically at the 42nd minute, from a ball that reached Serbian Ante Rebic from Portuguese Rafael Leao, the first smart shot out of reach Goalkeeper Alison Becker.

Milan’s surprise goal left a bad psychological impact on Liverpool players, who lost focus in the last minutes of the first half, causing them to receive a second goal, signed by Spaniard Ibrahim Diaz, in the 44th minute.

With the start of the second half, Liverpool regained its balance and succeeded in adjusting the balance quickly with a goal scored by Mohamed Salah in the 48th minute, compensating for the penalty kick he missed in the first half.

Jurgen Klopp’s team exerted a terrible offensive pressure and returned to regain priority with a third goal, which came through captain Jordan Henderson, who hit a ball on the bird that settled in the Milan goal in the 69th minute.

Liverpool tried to secure a victory with a fourth goal, but Milan kept defending its goal until the last moments and avoided a broad defeat from the “Reds”, whose players missed many opportunities.

Within the same group, Atletico Madrid and Porto drew 0-0, in a match held at the “Wandamitropetano” stadium, the stronghold of Atlético.

Liverpool topped the group standings with 3 points, followed by Atleti and Porto with a point, and Milan finally without a score.

© The Eastern Herald
No oligarch or politician dictates to us how to write about any subject. We need your support. Please contribute whatever you can afford. Click here to make your donation.
Follow us on:
News Room
The Eastern Herald’s Editorial Board is responsible for the stories published under this byline. That includes editorials, news stories, letters to the editor, and multimedia features on