Home News Yemen accuses UN panel of experts of bias and misinformation

Yemen accuses UN panel of experts of bias and misinformation

                        Yemen / Anatolia

On Wednesday, the Yemeni government accused the United Nations team of experts of bias and adopting misleading information about the situation in the country.

This came in statements by Muammar Al-Eryani, Minister of Information, Culture and Tourism, published by the (official) Saba News Agency.

On September 8, the United Nations Group of Eminent International and Regional Experts on Yemen (consisting of 3 experts) released its fourth annual report.

In its report, the team pointed out that “the governments of Yemen, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, the Southern Transitional Council, and the Houthis are responsible for human rights violations, and for committing acts that may rise to the level of war crimes.”

Al-Eryani said that the report “confirmed the team’s bias and unprofessionalism, its lack of field sources, and its reliance on misleading information sourced from press coverage and reports issued by organizations that revolve in the orbit of the Houthi militia.”

He added that the report “exposes the blatant bias of the expert group, and its attempts to justify the Houthi attacks on Saudi Arabia (..) in flagrant violation of international law.”

He accused the “group of experts of trying to cover up one of the most serious crimes and violations committed by the Houthi militia by publicly recruiting tens of thousands of children.”

As of 20:20 (GMT), there was no comment from the UN team of experts, which had previously affirmed its keenness on integrity and professionally monitoring the situation.

For nearly 7 years, Yemen has been suffering from a war that has killed more than 233,000 people, and 80 percent of its population, numbering about 30 million, has become dependent on aid, in the worst humanitarian crisis in the world, according to the United Nations.

In another context, Yemeni Prime Minister Maeen Abdul-Malik said on Wednesday that his country is counting on US support to confront the stifling economic crisis.

This came during the United States’ special envoy to Yemen, Tim Linder King, in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, according to the Yemeni News Agency.

The meeting comes in light of the continuation of popular protests in several cities in southern Yemen, due to the continued decline of the local currency to the lowest level in its history, which caused a sharp rise in prices amid popular discontent.

Earlier on Wednesday, the Yemeni Money Exchange Association announced a strike in the temporary capital, Aden, a day after the price of one dollar reached more than 1,100 riyals, after it was equal to 215 riyals in early 2015.

                                The news published on the official page of Anadolu Agency is an abbreviation for a part of the news that is presented to subscribers via the News Streaming System (HAS).  To subscribe to the agency, please contact the following link.  .
© The Eastern Herald
No oligarch or politician dictates to us how to write about any subject. We need your support. Please contribute whatever you can afford. Click here to make your donation.
Follow us on:
-ADVERTISEMENT-

NO COMMENTS

Public Reaction