sudan-protest-to-close-roads
Protest against Army coup in Sudan (File Photo/AFP)

On Saturday, the Sudanese Professionals Association called on demonstrators to close public and internal roads with barricades to disrupt and paralyze the movement of security forces.

And Saturday, thousands of people went out in the neighborhoods of Khartoum, and a number of other states of Sudan, to continue protests against the actions of the army commander, Abdel-Fattah Al-Burhan, which resulted in the killing of 5 demonstrators and the injury of others, according to what was announced by the “Sudan Doctors Committee” (a non-governmental union).

The Association of Professionals (the leader of the protest movement in the country) said in a statement that the security forces “committed a new massacre against the Sudanese revolutionaries and revolutionaries today, November 13, in which snipers are used to kill with live bullets, storm neighborhoods, and homes and practice indiscriminate arrest.”

The statement added: “It is also besieging hospitals and medical centers to prevent the wounded from arriving for treatment and medical services.”

He called on “revolutionaries in all neighborhoods in all cities and villages of Sudan to close public and internal roads with barricades to disrupt and paralyze the movement of Israel and labor forces.”

The statement continued: “The mass tide and peaceful resistance with a variety of tools will continue until the overthrow of the military coup d’etat, bringing the criminals to justice for what they committed against the peaceful defenseless and the establishment of the full transitional civilian national authority.”

On the other hand, Brigadier-General Al-Taher Abuhaga, media advisor to the Commander-in-Chief of the Sudanese army, said that “the security forces exercised the utmost restraint despite the unjustified provocations,” according to what was reported by the official television.

Earlier today, the “Sudan Doctors Committee” (a non-governmental union) announced in a statement that 5 protesters had been killed in the demonstrations in the capital, Khartoum, “as a result of the bullets of the military council,” as it put it.

This brings to 20 the death toll from the protests since they broke out in Khartoum and a number of cities in the country, on October 25; Rejecting the measures taken by the army chief, Abdel-Fattah Al-Burhan, related to the dissolution of the institutions of the democratic transition, according to the “Sudan Doctors Committee”.

On Tuesday, the Sudanese Professionals Association called, in a statement, for mass demonstrations on Saturday, “to demand civilian rule and to reject the army’s actions.”

The demonstrations in some areas of the capital witnessed hit and run cases; After the police forces fired tear gas canisters and rubber bullets, in return for the crowds of protesters pelting those forces with stones, according to The Eastern Herald correspondent. ‎

And since last October 25, Sudan has been experiencing a severe crisis, as the army declared a state of emergency, dissolved the Sovereignty Councils and transitional ministers, dismissed governors, and arrested party leaders, ministers, and officials, in exchange for continuous protests that reject these measures as a “military coup.”

Prior to these measures, Sudan had been living, since August 21, 2019, a 53-month transitional period that ends with holding elections in early 2024, during which power is shared by the army, civil forces and armed movements that signed a peace agreement with the government in 2020.

© The Eastern Herald
No oligarch or politician dictates to us how to write about any subject. We need your support. Please contribute whatever you can afford. Click here to make your donation.
Follow us on:
Arab Desk
The Eastern Herald’s Editorial Board is responsible for the stories published under this byline. That includes editorials, news stories, letters to the editor, and multimedia features on easternherald.com.

Public Reaction