nov-17-sudanese-massacre
Sudanese army resting in peace after heavy gunfire on civillians killing at least 15

The Sudanese Communist Party condemned, on Thursday, what it described as the “massacre” carried out by the army against “peaceful demonstrators” in the protests on Wednesday, Nov 17, 2021, which resulted in the killing of 15, wounding and arresting dozens. A lot of uproar on social media is seen with the hashtag #Nov17Massacre.

The party said in a statement seen by The Eastern Herald, “We condemn the brutal massacre carried out by the bloody military council on Nov 17, which led to the martyrdom of 15 and the injury and arrest of dozens,” as he put it.

Earlier on Thursday, the Sudanese police said that they “did not shoot” peaceful demonstrators and that they “committed to dispersing protests in accordance with international standards”, in response to accusations of suppressing protests that took place on Wednesday, rejecting the “coup” and demanding civilian rule.

In the same context, the Sudanese Communists called for “the release of all political detainees, the lifting of the state of emergency, and the return of the Internet and communications.”

He also called for “the continuation of the mass struggle in various forms (processions, sit-ins, vigils) until the comprehensive popular uprising, general political strike and civil disobedience to overthrow the coup and establish democratic civil rule according to a new constitutional document.”

On Wednesday, the Sudanese Professionals Association, the leader of the protest movement, announced that 15 people had been killed in a confrontation with security forces, most of them in the city of Bahri (west), during Wednesday’s protests.

On October 25, the Sudanese army declared a state of emergency, dissolved the Sovereignty Council and the Transitional Ministers, dismissed the governors, and arrested party leaders, ministers, and officials, in return for ongoing popular protests and widespread international criticism calling for the return of the transitional government.

In return for accusing him of carrying out a military coup, the army chief, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, says that his army is committed to completing the democratic transition process and that he took measures on October 25 to protect the country from a “real danger,” accusing political forces of “inciting chaos.”​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Before the announcement of the army’s decisions, Sudan had been living, since August 2019, a 53-month transitional period that ends with holding elections in early 2024, during which power is shared by the army, civil forces, and armed movements that signed a peace agreement with the government, in 2020.

© The Eastern Herald
No oligarch or politician dictates to us how to write about any subject. We need your support. Please contribute whatever you can afford. Click here to make your donation.
Follow us on:
Arab Desk
The Eastern Herald’s Editorial Board is responsible for the stories published under this byline. That includes editorials, news stories, letters to the editor, and multimedia features on easternherald.com.

Public Reaction