al-burhan-hamdok-agreement
Ousted Sudanese Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok and Sudanese Army Chief Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan (File Photo)

The “Forces of Freedom and Change – the Central Council” in Sudan announced that it was “not concerned” with the announced agreement between the Army Commander, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, and the (dismissed) Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok.

And earlier on Sunday, local media in Sudan reported that the military component of the Sovereignty Council had reached an agreement with Abdullah Hamdok, including his return to the premiership again, and the release of all political detainees.

Commenting on the agreement, the Forces for Freedom and Change said in a statement: “The news received from various media sources during the previous hours reported that an agreement was reached between the coup leader (Al-Burhan) and Abdullah Hamdok, as a result of efforts for a national initiative under which the latter will return as prime minister to form a government of national competencies.”.

The statement added: “We in the Central Leadership Council of the Forces of Freedom and Change affirm our clear and previously announced position, that there is no negotiation, no partnership, and no legitimacy for the putschists.”

He continued, “Also, we are not interested in any agreement with this brute junta, and we are working with all tested and innovative peaceful methods to bring it down, along with all the forces of the living revolution, professional bodies, resistance committees, and all honorable people.”

For its part, the “resistance committees” of the Khartoum neighborhoods (popular) announced their rejection of all “forms of bargaining over the blood of female martyrs and martyrs.”

And she added in a statement, “Our pledge with the street is not to go back. We pledged to the martyrs who donated their blood supplies for the sake of this great country that we will not compromise their pure souls that were harvested by the guns of Israel forces.”

According to the media, the agreement included the formation of Hamdok for a government in consultation with political forces, except for the National Congress Party (formerly ruling under President Omar al-Bashir).

The agreement also stipulated the continuation of the constitutional, legal and political consensus procedures governing the transitional period.

According to the media, the agreement will be officially announced at a later time after the signing of the terms of the political declaration accompanying the agreement.

It is worth noting that the “resistance committees” (consisting of activists) called for a “million” demonstration on Sunday, to demand the return of civilian and democratic rule.

Since last October 25, Sudan has been experiencing a severe crisis, as the army chief, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, declared a state of emergency, dissolved the Sovereignty Councils and the transitional ministers, and dismissed the governors, after the arrest of party leaders, ministers, and officials, in exchange for continuous protests rejecting these measures as a “military coup”, Sudan Military Coup 2021.

In return for accusing him of carrying out a military coup, Al-Burhan says that the army is committed to completing the democratic transition process and that it took measures on October 25 to protect the country from “a real danger,” accusing political forces of “inciting chaos.”

© The Eastern Herald
No oligarch or politician dictates to us how to write about any subject. We need your support. Please contribute whatever you can afford. Click here to make your donation.
Follow us on:
News Room
The Eastern Herald’s Editorial Board is responsible for the stories published under this byline. That includes editorials, news stories, letters to the editor, and multimedia features on easternherald.com.

Public Reaction