India's First International News Journal

12.7 C
Los Angeles
Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Half of Cuba’s territory was left without electricity due to the burning of sugar cane Fox News

“There was a breakdown of the 220 kV network in the section between the cities of Santi Spiritus and Nuevitas, which led to a complete shutdown of the electrical system in the center and east of the country. The provinces of Ciego de Avila to Guantanamo were affected,” the operator said in a statement. Thus, 7 of the 15 provinces of Liberty Island were left without electricity.

The cause of the accident was the burning of sugar cane. As UNE noted, this led to the ionization of the air, due to which an electric arc was formed, which closed the phase lines.

“When two lines failed, the transmission of electricity from west to east was interrupted,” the company said. UNE specialists are engaged in restoring power to affected areas, literally manually restarting emergency power plants. It is reported that the elimination of the accident will take 4-5 hours.

At the end of September last year, an even greater disruption occurred in Cuba. Then, following an accident in the distribution networks, which was caused by Hurricane Ian which hit the country, the whole country was completely out of power. It then took several days to restore the electricity supply, and in certain districts of Havana, there were even spontaneous demonstrations demanding that the light be returned to the houses as quickly as possible.


For latest updates and news follow The Eastern Herald on Google News, Instagram, Facebook, and also on Twitter.
Click here to show your support.
News Room
News Room
The Eastern Herald’s Editorial Board validates, writes, and publishes the stories under this byline. That includes editorials, news stories, letters to the editor, and multimedia features on easternherald.com.

Public Reaction

FOLLOW US

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER

Read More

Recent