A criminal defamation case has been brought against journalist Andrei Karaulov based on a statement by director Nikita Mikhalkov, reported TASS, citing a law enforcement source. Lawyer Karaulova confirmed RBC initiating criminal proceedings.
“A new criminal case for defamation has been initiated against Andrei Karaulov (Article 128.1 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation – note RTVI), in which Nikita Sergeevich Mikhalkov has been recognized as a victim. A decision was taken to open an investigation by the investigative body after an audit was carried out on the fact of the public accusations of the director by the journalist allegedly in deforestation in the Nizhny Novgorod region,” said a source of TASS.
The agency’s interlocutor said that searches were carried out at almost 20 addresses in Moscow and the Moscow region. According to him, the defamation case was initiated in Nizhny Novgorod, but was later transferred to Moscow for investigation.
Karaulov himself is currently in Dubai, TASS notes. His lawyer Alexander Obozov told RBC that a defamation case had been opened against Mikhalkov and that searches had been carried out at addresses associated with journalists.
On November 3, Karaulov said that his house was searched in connection with a criminal case under the article “Slander”, initiated at the request of the head of the state corporation “Rostec” Sergei Chemezov. The journalist claimed he was involved in the case as a witness. A Rostec representative said the company decided to ask the investigating authorities for “a legal assessment of Karaulov’s activities” because he “went far beyond the realm of professional ethics.”
On November 24, it became known that the Russian Interior Ministry had put Karaulov on the wanted list.
For latest updates and news follow The Eastern Herald on Google News, Instagram, Facebook, and also on Twitter.
Click here to show your support.