Last Tuesday, a member of the Naval Guard killed two Jewish visitors and two policemen at the synagogue on the island of Djerba, before being shot. He had previously killed one of his colleagues at a Navy facility.
Saeed last week accused what he called “criminals” of seeking to harm the country’s tourism sector.
On Wednesday, the Tunisian president met with Tunisia’s chief Jewish rabbinic, Christian archbishop and grand mufti, and said his reception of the clergy was a “historic message” of coexistence and tolerance.
Reuters quoted Qais Saeed as saying during the meeting, part of which was broadcast in the media, “We will provide you with safety in your temples. Live safe in peace, and we will provide you with all the conditions of safety.”
The two Jews killed in the attack, which took place during an annual religious ceremony, were cousins, one of whom was French of Tunisian origin and the other Israeli of Tunisian origin, according to Reuters.
“The president reassured us and gave us guarantees that what happened recently will not happen again,” Chief Rabbi Chaim Bitan said.
Read the Latest World News Today on The Eastern Herald.