Sudanese protesting in Khartoum against the coup by Sudanese forces(File Photo/AFP)

Brigadier-General Al-Taher Abuhaga, the media advisor to the Commander-in-Chief of the Sudanese army, considered that the demonstrations, on Saturday, issued a “death certificate” for the forces that claim to own the street.

This came in the first comment of a military official on Saturday’s demonstrations, calling for civilian rule and rejecting the decisions of the army chief, the new head of the Transitional Council, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, according to what was reported by official television.

Abu Haga said, “Today’s demonstrations issued a death certificate for the forces that claim to monopolize the street” (in reference to the gathering of professionals and the forces of the Declaration of Freedom and Change).


He added that “the security forces exercised the utmost restraint despite the unjustified provocations.”

And he added, “What happened today made the military establishment keener on democratic transition and preparing for elections.”

He considered that the Sudan Doctors Committee “is a gelatinous body that does not exist on the ground, used by well-known (unnamed) political parties to falsify facts and facts,” as he put it.

And Saturday, the “Sudan Doctors Committee” (a non-governmental union) announced in a statement that 5 protesters were killed in the demonstrations in the capital, Khartoum, “as a result of the bullets of the military council,” as it put it.

This brings to 20 the death toll from the protests since they broke out in Khartoum and a number of cities in the country, on October 25; Rejection of the proof measures related to the dissolution of the institutions of democratic transition, according to the “Sudan Doctors Committee”.

Today, thousands have come out in the neighborhoods of Khartoum, and a number of other states of Sudan, continuing the protests against Al-Burhan’s actions.

The demonstrations in some areas of the capital witnessed a hit and run cases; After the police forces fired tear gas canisters and rubber bullets, in return for the crowds of protesters pelting those forces with stones, according to The Eastern Herald correspondent.

For its part, the Sudanese police announced that 39 of its members were “seriously injured” in Saturday’s demonstrations.

And Sudanese TV quoted the police, saying that “the demonstrations were peaceful, but quickly deviated from their course, and that several sections (police headquarters) were attacked by demonstrators.”

She added that she had used “minimal force and did not use firearms in her dealings with the demonstrators.”

On October 25, the army declared a state of emergency, dissolved the Sovereignty Council and transitional ministers, dismissed governors, and arrested party leaders, ministers, and officials, which was met with protests rejecting these measures as a “military coup”.

On Thursday, Al-Burhan issued a decree forming the new Transitional Sovereignty Council headed by him, appointing Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo “Hemedti” as his deputy, and taking the constitutional oath before the country’s chief justice.

Prior to these measures, Sudan had been living, since August 21, 2019, a 53-month transitional period that ends with holding elections in early 2024, during which power is shared by the army, civil forces, and armed movements that signed a peace agreement with the government in 2020.

For latest updates and news follow The Eastern Herald on Google News, Instagram, Facebook, and also on Twitter.
Click here to show your support.

Public Reaction