The European Union sees an opportunity to renew cooperation with the United States after the new US president Joe Biden takes over as US leader, according to a text published on the European Parliament’s website.
- Taking office as the new president of the United States is an opportunity to redefine transatlantic relations. Europe and America have traditionally been allies, but under Donald Trump, the United States has become more one-sided and has withdrawn from treaties and international organizations. The opportunity for re-cooperation opens with Joe Biden, who will take office on January 20 – it is stated on the page of the European Parliament.
The world needs a strong link between Europe and the United States
On December 2, 2020, the European Commission presented a proposal for a new transatlantic program that enables cooperation on a number of issues. In its conclusions of 7 December, the Council reaffirmed the importance of this partnership. It is emphasized that the European Parliament supports closer cooperation.
On November 7, Parliament Speaker David Sassoli announced on Twitter: “The world needs a strong link between Europe and the United States, especially in these difficult times. We look forward to working together to fight coronavirus, climate change, and growing inequalities.”
– Both the USA and the EU can benefit from closer cooperation, but there are still many challenges and differences – it is written on the website of the European Parliament.
When it comes to the coronavirus, they state that, although it is a global threat, Trump has decided to withdraw the United States from the World Health Organization.
– The EU and the USA could join forces in financing the development and distribution of vaccines, testing, and treatment, as well as work on prevention, preparedness, and response – it is written on the page of the European Parliament.
Democracy and human rights
They also looked at climate change, technology, trade, and norms, as well as foreign affairs.
- The EU and the US are committed to promoting democracy and human rights. Together they can work to strengthen the multilateral system. However, in some cases, they do not agree on the best way to achieve these goals. Both are looking for the best way to define relations with China. Under Trump’s leadership, the United States has had several conflicts, and the EU has a diplomatic approach. EU negotiators reached a comprehensive investment agreement with China in December 2020. Parliament is currently considering it and its consent is required for the agreement to enter into force. The new American leadership is an opportunity for greater and better coordination of approaches – it is written on the page of the European Parliament.
Finally, it is stated that the EU and the USA have applied different approaches to Iran as well. Both the US and the EU were part of the nuclear deal with Iran, but Trump withdrew the US from it in 2018.
– With the new president of the USA, an opportunity for a common approach opens up – the text on the page of the European Parliament concludes.
Earlier, it was reported by The Eastern Herald that how Biden will restore US-European ties.