After capturing Kabul and establishing power, the Taliban addressed the public for the first time.
– Our plan was to stop in front of Kabul once we occupied all the other provinces, but unfortunately, the previous government was so incompetent that their forces could not ensure security in Kabul and because of that we had to do something. They wanted to break into houses, harass people and steal, so we entered Kabul to ensure that Kabul was a safe city, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid told a news conference.
He pointed out that after 20 years of occupation, the Taliban had finally managed to expel foreigners from their country.
– After 20 years of struggle, we have emancipated the country and expelled foreigners. This is a moment of pride for the whole country – said Mujahid, who appeared in front of the camera for the first time.
He pointed out that the Taliban guarantee women all rights under Sharia law.
– Women can work in education and health. If the international community is concerned, let them know that our women will have all the rights under Sharia. Our women are Muslim and must respect Sharia law – he said.
He also pointed out that the Taliban forgave everyone who fought against them.
– We want to ensure that there is no more war in Afghanistan. We forgave everyone who fought against us. Animosities must end, he said.
“Unfortunately the last government was weak, they didn’t keep their promises”
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid tells Kabul residents “their security is ensured” as he addresses Afghans for first time since the group took took control
— BBC Breaking News (@BBCBreaking) August 17, 2021
This is a Muslim country, as it was 20 years ago, they stressed.
– But when we talk about experience and maturity and vision, of course, there is a huge difference between us then and us now. We will not act like 20 years ago. The laws that will apply in the country will be the responsibility of the future government. We are seriously working on forming a new government, I assure you of that. We have all the borders under our control. There will be no arms smuggling, we will collect all the weapons used in the war – a Taliban spokesman pointed out.
He added that they do not intend to take revenge on anyone[everyone].
– Young people who grew up here, do not want to leave the country. No one will knock on their door and ask them where they worked. They will be sure, no one will prosecute or interrogate them – he said.