Police breakdown on protestors in Khartoum against the sudanese military coup (File Photo/Agencies)

Sudanese police forces dispersed demonstrations in the capital, Khartoum, on Friday, calling for the return of civilian rule, according to eyewitnesses and video clips on social media platforms.

Eyewitnesses told The Eastern Herald that the police forces used tear gas to disperse the demonstrators in the “Al-Dim” area in central Khartoum.

Witnesses said that the police forces were trying to remove the barricades set up by the protesters on a main street in the area.


In the context, video footage on social media platforms showed the police using tear gas to disperse the demonstrators, with hit-and-run operations between the police and protesters in neighborhoods in the capital.

Protesters set up barricades to prevent police from chasing them in some neighborhoods and set tires on fire on a main street in the area.

There was no immediate comment from the Sudanese police on what the witnesses said.

Earlier in the day, hundreds of demonstrators came out in Khartoum after Friday prayers, to demand the return of civilian rule and to denounce the decisions of Sudanese leader Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan.

After performing Friday prayers, the demonstrators chanted: “Free revolutionaries, we will continue the journey,” “The people are a stronger people, and apostasy is impossible,” and “This country is our right and the civility of our government.”

On October 25, the army declared a state of emergency in Sudan, dissolved the Sovereignty Council and the Transitional Ministers, dismissed the governors, and arrested party leaders, ministers, and officials, in return for ongoing popular protests and widespread international criticism calling for the return of the transitional government.

Before the announcement of the army’s decisions, Sudan had been living, since August 2019, a 53-month transitional period that ends with holding elections in early 2024, during which power is shared by the army, civil forces, and armed movements that signed a peace agreement with the government, in 2020.


Public Reaction