Senior Eritrean delegation composed of Mr. Osman Saleh, Minister of Foreign Affairs, and Presidential Adviser Mr. Yemane Gebreab is on working visit to the Republic of Sudan.
Senior Eritrean delegation composed of Mr. Osman Saleh, Minister of Foreign Affairs, and Presidential Adviser Mr. Yemane Gebreab is on working visit to the Republic of Sudan (File Photo/The Eastern Herald)

Khartoum / TEH: The Sudanese Transitional Sovereignty Council held talks in Khartoum on Monday with an Eritrean delegation on bilateral relations and the situation in Sudan.

The President of the Sovereignty Council, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, met with the Eritrean delegation, which includes Foreign Minister Othman Saleh and the Eritrean President’s advisor for security affairs, Yamani Qabrab, according to a statement by the council.

-Advertisement-

The council stated that Al-Burhan had received a written message from Eritrean President Isaias Afwerki regarding bilateral relations and ways to support and develop them in all fields.

The two sides stressed, “the importance of supporting the horizon of joint cooperation between Khartoum and Asmara, and strengthening bilateral relations,” according to the statement.

The statement did not mention the date of the Eritrean delegation’s arrival or the duration of its visit.

In a separate meeting, the Vice-President of the Sovereignty Council, Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo (Hemedti), also met with Saleh and Qirab.

The Sovereignty Council stated that the meeting discussed bilateral relations and ways to enhance them to serve the interests of the two peoples, in addition to the political situation in Sudan.

-Advertisement-

Hemedti stressed, “dialogue as a basic principle to overcome the current situation.”

He continued, “We extend our white hands to all for the stability of the country and by supporting all initiatives within the framework of the Sudanese-Sudanese solution.”

Saleh said, “The visit to Sudan aims to find out the political situation and the efforts made to address it,” according to the statement.

-Advertisement-

Sudan has witnessed, since October 25, protests calling for civilian rule and rejecting exceptional measures taken by Al-Burhan, who is also the commander of the army, most notably the imposition of a state of emergency and the dissolution of the Sovereignty Councils (reactivated later) and the transitional ministers.

Al-Burhan denied accusations that he had staged a military coup, and said that he had taken these measures to “correct the course of the transitional phase,” and his commitment to handing over power through elections or national consensus.

Prior to these measures, Sudan had been living, since August 21, 2019, a 53-month transitional period that ends with holding elections in early 2024.

-Advertisement-